What is currently included in your TE subject curricula on climate change in southern Africa:
1. In Sociology of Education and Child Psychology (SECP) course, there is a mention of Cross cutting issues. Cross Cutting issues are also mentioned in Guidance and Counselling
2. The Students at ECE teacher education study a course called Environmental Science
3. In the course Social Studies there is a topic on Population with subtopics on Settlement and Environment
*** The avenue through which climate change issues can find themselves in the teaching and learning at Teacher Education level is available through the subjects mentioned above.
What is missing:
1. The mention of Cross Cutting Issues in SECP is so narrow and inadequate that it does not actually mention Climate Change or the consequences of climate change like temperature rise, unreliable rainfall pattern etc. The specific Outcomes list Cross Cutting Issues as Street Children, Gender, Poverty, HIV/AIDS, Child Labor and children rights. It does not attempt to show that even the listed Cross cutting issues can actually be consequences of Climate Change.
The same cross cutting issues are mentioned in Guidance and Counselling
2. There is a course called Entrepreneurship in ECE teacher Education. The course does not make mention of climate change in the selection of business ideas.
3. The non mention of Climate Change matters in the syllabus for Environmental Science Education
4. Social Studies syllabus is not elaborate on matters to do with climate change as this is primarily the course that deals with the way of life a people over a period of time. Although the course has topic/subtopics on settlement and environment, issues to do with Ecosystems and how they relate to the human adaptation and development do not come out at all.
*** The Syllabus for ECE teacher education does not have the column on content which should further be subdivided into Knowledge, Competencies/ Skills and Values that the students should acquire and be able to inculcate into the would be learners
How you can review your curriculum to improve it:
1. Let the syllabus of SECP be candid on the cross cutting issues to include climate change and related knowledge.
2. If business ideas be that important in the training of ECE teachers and that the business ideas are very important in the ultimate grooming of ECE learners in schools, then Climate change matters must be included in entrepreneurship course
3. The course Environmental Science Education must be made to include the aspects of Climate Change in totality.
4. Social Studies syllabus should be more elaborate on matters to do with climate change as this is primarily the course that deals with the way of life a people over a period of time.
*** The Syllabus for ECE teacher education should have the column on content which should further be subdivided into Knowledge, Competencies/ Skills and Values that the students should acquire and be able to inculcate into the would be learners.
With the inclusion of such a column it will be easy to insert matters of Climate change in many courses, topics or subtopics.