Home › Forums › Café Forum › Learning Action 1 › Review of your institution’s Vision and Mission statement › Reply To: Review of your institution’s Vision and Mission statement
1. To what extent does it reflect your understanding of sustainable development?
The vision of the Copperbelt University is “To be an institution in which scholarship flourishes in an environment characterised by world class infrastructure and collaborative relations and supported by an accountable, transparent and efficient University governance system”.
The university’s mission statement reads as “To contribute to the development and sustenance of the well-being of the people of Zambia and the world through the provision of flexible, innovative, entrepreneurial, inclusive programmes of teaching, learning, research and service”.
The concepts of accountability and transparency in the vision and sustenance, flexibility and innovation in the mission statement are closely linked to sustainable development. Both the vision and mission enhance my understanding of sustainable development.
2. To what extent does it reflect the definition of sustainable development that reads “Sustainable Development is development which meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs”?
There is some reflection of the definition of sustainable development in both of them but this requires broaden it to holistically capture the concept of sustainable development.
3. Do you think this is needed or not?
Yes it is but amendments are needed to ensure it incorporates the concept of sustainable development.
4. To what extent does your institution’s Vision and Mission statement reflect the objectives of ESD and the GAP?
Some objectives of ESD and GAP are missed out.
5. How would you reframe/restate your institution’s Vision and Mission statement to more substantively reflect SD and ESD (based on your understandings of these concepts and your context)?
The vision should read “To be the preferred education and research centre for the training of education leaders for sustainable socio-economic development”.
The Mission should read “To prepare subject competent teachers for the development and acquisition of sustainability competences among learners through creativity, critical thinking, collaboration, communication, innovation and entrepreneurship within the education system and the economy”.