Home Forums Café Forum Learning Action 1 Reflect on Learning Action 1 Reply To: Reflect on Learning Action 1

Sibusiso
Participant

I have since gained some insight in examining linkages between my institution’s policies and what the sustainable development goals seek to achieve, especially goal 4 which all TEI should strive to align with, which focuses on ensuring inclusive and equitable quality education and promotion of lifelong learning. Goal 4 is also very much linked with the rest of the SDGs, which altogether are the path towards the achievement of sustainable development.

As a student of SD and ESD, I think I can improve my understanding through following the UNESCO Roadmap for Implementing the Global Action Programme on Education for Sustainable Development. Also, it is very important for me to understand that sustainable development is a learning process, one that is transformative as we get to be inquisitive enough to question and action on issues that affect us in our societies. For instance, as an educator in a developing country, I should strive to produce students that will understand how to strike a balance in ensuring that all actions undertaken now do not compromise the needs of future generations.

Based on the foregoing sentiments, I am eagerly expecting to gain further insight into aspects such as teaching approaches to discourage extravagant undertakings in the name of “economic development” as we strive to preserve resources.

With what I have gained so far, I would emphasise the need to revisit the vision and mission statements, and policies of my institution to align with the sustainable development and education for sustainable development definitions.