Home Forums Café Forum Learning Action 1 Understanding Sustainable Development

Viewing 91 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Try to answer the following questions in the forum:

• How do you understand the concept of sustainable development?  What are the main sustainable development issues affecting your community and country?
      • What are the implications for your TE/TVET Change Project development?
      • Consider the two definitions of sustainable development discussed. How can these guide your ESD work?
    • Joalane
      Participant

Sustainable development is development that does not deplete natural resources. It is development that preserves resources for future generations but also takes into consideration that it harmonizes developmental activities with nature. SD issues affecting my community include impacts of climate change in the form of recurring droughts and other extreme weather events, loss of biodiversity, gender inequality, unemployment, poverty and social injustice.

Sustainable development is a learning process, it evolves with time. It relates to the circumstances that one is in.

There is need to first assess the situation/circumstances of all those (teachers, learners, community etc.) that are involved in my ESD work. If we are all having the same understanding then our efforts will be sustainable.

• Kasumba Agnes subeta
      Participant

Sustainable development is what I do today and how it affects my future. It is an action that should not end with me but that which will make the environment suitable for everyone because of the action I took.
      * Education for sustainable development is based on the fact that we consider what will stand for many years to come.
      * Our project on curriculum innovation implies that we take care of the gaps by implementing the KSV at a tender age and not waiting for tertiary level for learners to acquire sustainable skills.

• Msoni Rodrick
      Participant

Sustainable development- it refers to eco friendly development that preserves nature for future generations

• Armstrong Simelane
        Participant

SD should not pollute the environment

• Msoni Rodrick
      Participant

It refers to eco friendly development that focuses on the preservation of the environment for future generations

• Kasumba Agnes subeta
      Participant

what we do today has its effects on our progression tomorrow. This can either give us positive or negative results. Our attitude towards the environment is a major concern. If only we can keep the environment like we shall live forever and ever we shall never dream of polluting it.
      – Education for sustainable development means practicing that which will make our livelihood better even in the years to come. What we do today, definitely has a bearing on what must be correct tomorrow. ESD must be education that is sustainable and applicable even in the future generations, meeting the needs of today and not compromising the future generational needs.
      – Our project on skill utilization in practical courses for sustainable development.

• Emma
      Participant

SD is the development that focuses on meeting the needs of the current generation while preserving the environment, strengthening social justice, promoting gender equality and equity, promoting culture heritage, economic well-being for all, and preservation of various ecosystems for our future generation. Our community are faced with the above SD issues and as an institution that is supposed to embrace SD as a learning process to build capacity to live sustainably, it’s curriculum is not informed by SD and ESD principles. Thus the implication of our ESD change project is to come up with curriculum implementation innovations to embrace the SD and ESD principles in the training of teachers. The two definitions of SD is a reminder that our ESD change project responds to SD issues and acts as a learning process for sustainable living.

• Leonard Nkhata
      Participant

SD is that development which ensures that the needs of the current generation are met without compromising the prospects of the future generations meeting their needs.the SD issues in our community include the lack of 21st Century skills in our youths to identify the social, economic and environmental concerns of tomorrow and prepare to resolve them when they confront them. It becomes necessary to train them to acquire the 21st century skills.

• Mamohato
      Participant

Sustainable development involves the aspects of environment, ecology and the society. It is mainly focusing on improving the quality of human lives, using locally available resources. However we must ensure that the environment is not degraded in the process,for future generations to access the resources as well. Sustainable development is creating a world that is more just and peaceful.
      The critical concerns in our community/country are unclean environment, food insecurity, water scarcity, malnutrition and political instability.
      As teacher educators we have to apply teaching and learning methods that would ensure active participation of learners so they acquire more knowledge and skills that would help them to meet the needs of the society present and future.
      Interactive and learner centered methods enable exploratory action oriented and transformative learning that inspire learners to act for sustainability. It will also guide in empowering learners to take informed decisions and responsible actions for environmental integrity.

• Claire
      Participant

Sustainable development is the action done today that should not in any way compromise the wellbeing of future generation. In other words the future generation should have an enabling environment to live in.
      The sustainable development concerns with; erratic water supply, uncontrolled waste disposal, unemployment, high levels of poverty, gender inequality and climate change effects.

The implication on the development of my change project is that there is a lot of reflection to be done in order to achieve transformation in one way or the other. There is also need to create agents of change as well as take an encompassing approach to ensure that collaboration is strengthened between the institution and the community.

• Edgar
      Participant

Sustainable development is the the kind of development which strike a balance between ecological values and economical development. It is a kind of development that ensures that the the natural resources and environmental we have today is utilized in a sustainable manner to be able to serve equally the future generation without compromise. The concept of of ideal sustainable development ensures that nobody is left behind and attest to the fact that anything done in the name of development as long as it does not attach value to the environmental component is not development.

• LintleMJ
      Participant

Sustainable development is retaining what we have now and making sure that it last for generations to come. For instance if we are aware that global warming is affecting our wetlands, we should do some research to find out what can help to retain those wetlands for years to come.

Ours as teacher educators is to teach student teachers and the community to take care of our natural resources and use them wisely so that they last us for a long time.

• Gamuchirai Chakona
      Participant

Sustainable Development is the development we do now in the present, making sure that it does not affect future generations to realise their needs. That is developing an environment for future generations to live sustainably without compromising their needs.

The critical concerns in South Africa are food security and malnutrition especially in women and children. This is also not addressed in the basic education curriculum of life skills. Teacher educators should include these aspects so that teachers will be able to pass this to learners in class and do practical work (e.g. vegetable gardens) which help in understanding SDG 2 and 3. This will introduce the aspect of sustainability in learners thus empowering them to make decisions and responsible actions in producing their own food to fight food insecurity and improve nutrition.

• bruce
      Participant

How do you understand the concept of sustainable development?
      this is the responsible usage of resources to satisfy our needs today with the view preserving resources to enable future generations meet their needs as well.

What are the main sustainable development issues affecting your community and country?
      environmental degradation, reduction in confidence in the justice system, poor social service delivery (inadequate schools and health facilities), low literacy levels leading to low academic achievements and social economic problems such as poverty and unemployment

What are the implications for your TE/TVET Change Project development?
      our change project is aimed at modelling and improving teaching methods and pedagogical practices in order to improve the processes of teaching and learning. this will hopefully improve academic achievements.

Consider the two definitions of sustainable development discussed. How can these guide your ESD work?
      the two definitions will help us focus on prudent use of available resources today for a sustainable tomorrow.

• MAPULANE LEHLOKOANYANE
      Participant

Sustainable development is a process of using available resources to meet human needs however taking care and preserving those resources to be available for future generations

The whole world is experiencing climate changes as a result of pollutants that destroy the ozone layer therefore the project is aimed at reducing the land degradation by alleviating and then eradicating the use of foam packs starting from our college. Skills, values and attitude would be developed toward making our college free from polystyrene foam pack pollutant.

Improving capacity building by engaging the prospective teachers in discouraging the use of foam packs. They would develop skills and values that would help them become change agents in their villages and in schools of their employment to save the environment

• DJLMP
      Participant

Sustainable development is the development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the future generation so that they should be able to meet also their own needs

• Azaria Simelane
      Participant

Sustainable development is a change for better living initiative done without causing destruction which may affect future generations.
      I think ESD concurs with the two definitions.

I think the implications of the Change project is in line with the two definations.

• fundisa
      Participant

Test

• Vuyisile Lydia Matsebula
      Participant

Sustainable development is development which meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs and is a learning process for all stakeholders in education.It involves educatiknal practices aimed at addressing environmental issues, gender imbalance, peace, and other forms of social injustice for a better tomorrow.
      Our institutional change project meets the definition as it is aimed at transforming the curriculumn making it more inclusive, providing learners with enterpreneural skills and creating awareness of eco-friendly environments

• Joshua
      Participant

Sustainable development is development which meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs as well. For example, our generation should live knowing that there is another generation coming to enjoy the beauty of the earth, just the same as the previous generation left us with enough to survive on. Thus, we must live sensibly making sure that every person within the community has full right to education, heath services, access to clean water etc.

It is through ESD we can ensure true sustainable development without which, nothing can be accomplished.

It is the duty, therefore, of our TE/TVET to make sure this task is accomplished through them. Educators should take the leading role to have these initiatives a reality.

• Job Stephen Kyamogi
      Participant

My understanding of SD is that it is a learning process that demands individuals getting immersed into issues with the intention to get good results as we intentionally choose to build individual capacity so that we are relevant change agents.
      Critical SD concerns in my context include: Managing Energy consumption, waste management, natural resource management, education and training strategies application and protracted issues of poverty and deprivation.
      The implications for my TE CP development is that it must be designed to address the critical concerns that I highlighted above.
      My personal views are aligned well with the two definitions of 1987 and 2003. these definitions will guide us in that we must work as a group to learn well aware that we are in it for long term gains.

• W Gunde
      Participant

Sustainable development refers to human actions and practices that help to meet the needs of the present without negatively impacting on the abilities of future generations to meet their needs. It requires continuous reflection on human present actions and find lasting solutions to challenges encountered on the way for a better tomorrow.

Main sustainable development issues that are critical to my community includes: care for the environment, human rights, gender inequality, social justice, school curriculum, climate change, agriculture and economic prudence.

The change project that we will embark on will help teachers, student teachers and parents to treat both male and female learners fairly. They will also develop a sense of respect for human rights to enable the girl child to learn in order to address the challenge of gender inequality between boys and girls.

• Osman
      Participant

I take sustainable development as tangible activities that are done in a particular area. They leave a mark for quite a long time.

• Kelvin Haule
        Participant

I find sustainable development entails balancing our needs and resource utilization. The way we utilize the resources, we don’t have to compromise rights of the environment. This especially in line with definition one of SD by UN (1987)

Also, SD entails building capacity. The key question to answer is what capacities? For me i take as capacity to prudently utilize resources, capacity to manage resources and protect them

However, there are critical issues affecting this desire such as poverty, technology. In our communities it is difficult to convince someone to protect the environment at the heart of poverty. Poverty is challenge

• JOSHUA OKELO
      Participant

SD is the development that focuses on meeting the demands of the current generation while putting into consideration the well-being of future generation. Our communities are faced with the SD issues like lack of skills on ICT and as an institution that is supposed to embrace SD as a learning process to build capacity in order to live sustainably, its curriculum and practices are not informed by ESD principles or guidelines. Thus the implication of our change project is to come up with implementation of innovations to embrace SD principles in the training of teacher educators. The two definitions of SD act as a reminder that our change project should respond to SD issues and acts as a learning process for living sustainably.

• Fiona Phiri
      Participant

Sustainable development is the development that takes on board issues like gender and education in considering future generation without destroying the environment.

• Cpwe
      Participant

Sustainable development is the development that focuses on maintaining the needs of the present generation through conserving the environment

• Henry
        Participant

SD is a training program that ensures use of natural resources while at the same time putting in measures to replenish them to ensure their availability for future use.
        some areas of concerns induce deforestation, waste management, energy and climate change.

SD training will bring awareness of dangers of environmental degradation and importance of environmental management.
        Henry Katiko – Malawi

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Henry.
    • Fiona Phiri
      Participant

*Sustainable development is the development that considers all aspects of life such as gender, education, well being of individuals in bringing a change to solve the current and future problems.
      *Our project is aiming at improving the environment for the well being of present and future generation.
      *The two definitions will help us in working together as a community of students, lecturers, and community at large in bringing a change in our community.

• Dumile
      Participant

my understanding of sustainable development is that it encompasses social, economic and environmental spheres. because trying to do that becomes a complex process, there is need for us to learn from one another as we define it together for our institution. This way it becomes a learning process. Implications for the change project is that capacity building and collaboration is key in implementing a change project

• Veronica
      Participant

I have understood sustainable development as activities, processes that are relevant and helpful to humans and the whole ecosystem at the moment and they will remain so in the future. In the area that I reside, there are critical issues such as deforestation and water pollution. These human activities have an implication on the future generations.
      This has motivated our community of practice to do a change project which can address those problems.
      my understanding of the the definitions of ESD and SD will surely help us to have a change project which is really sustainable.

• fundisa
      Participant

Add your reply!

• Ntombifuthi.mndzebeleswz
      Participant

my understanding of sustainable development
      I believe it is a concept in which humankind is expected to live sustainanbly, taking into consideration the present and the generation to come.I touches on all aspects of life, that is social justice, economic development, and environmental issues

I think in a way my understanding is reflected in the two definitions. This is due to the fact that both involves building our capacity to live in a sustainable way, thinking of the present and the future.

I think as an institution, we might need to start by instilling the understanding to everyone to work together, review our vision, mission and objectives, revisit the curriculum and adapt it towards ESD

• Washington Mbhamali
      Participant

My understanding of the concept of sustainable development is that it is any initiative that is aimed at transforming the collective livelihoods of people in a society to a state where their needs are met in terms of political, economical, socio-cultural and environmental dimensions. SD those initiatives should have a plan for sustaining those developed livelihoods without impinging on the ecological balance of the natural resources needed for development. The main sustainability development issues in my country and community are: political instability, dependence of donor funding for basic needs, poor infrastructure for establishing sustainable global partnerships, and establishment of donor-funded initiatives without proper plan for self-sustenance. For example, some TVET institutions were established using funding from international donors who after some years ceased their financial support, leaving those institutions idle after the missionaries go back to their countries. Such institutions had to close because they could not sustain their operations.

One of the implications of my TVET Change Project development is that our trainees will develop the culture of self-reliance and self-sustenance through online learning. Another implication is that the online learning will help reduce chances of spreading the COVID-19 infections through minimized face-to-face interactions in larger numbers as most training will be conducted online. The third implication is that our trainees will learn how to establish and run small scale businesses using online platforms.

The first definition will guide the knowledge and skills needed for each TVET course in my institution as the content should be based on needs analysis of the trainees and the communities from where they come. The knowledge and skills acquired should empower the graduates with skills needed by their communities for development, otherwise they will graduate to go and stay idle without jobs. The second definition will guide the entrepreneurial aspect of out TVET courses, in the sense that the trainees should be trained to focus more on self-employment than on paid employment to achieve the goal of self-sustainable employment for TVET graduates. Therefore, our “Online facilitation of TVET courses” as a Change Project will train our trainees to be self-directed, self-employed, and self-sustainable using online platforms.

• Lydia Jolofani Tembenu
      Participant

My understanding of sustainable development is that this is a way of improving one’s life through activities and processes that are relevant and helpful to humans and their immediate environment today, will remain so tomorrow and forever. My community and country is struggling with issues of deforestation, land and water pollution, democracy, human rights, gender-based violence, poverty and food insecurity. This is just a tip of the iceberg. These human activities will negatively impact future generations.
      This has motivated our community of practice to do a change project which can address food insecurity through water harvesting as well as deforestation through planting trees.
      My understanding of the definitions of ESD and SD will surely help us to have a change project which will really empower the COP sustainably.

• Majimbehilary
      Participant

*Sustainable Development is is a now and then process which focuses on benefits of the current as well as future generation in optimally use of resources for mankind. The critical concerns of my community are in-application of ICT facilities in teaching and learning process.
      *My views are reflected in the definitions of ESD in the sense that, it is cyclic process of making sure that resources are utilized to the fullest without jeopardizing the current and future generations’ interests.
      *The implication in TE institution change project is that, there is a need of stressing the importance of embracing ICT in the teaching and learning process among teacher educators and Teacher trainees.

• Busisiwe
      Participant

To me SD entails creating a platform/resources today that will last to be used by the future generation without having to struggle. It means establishing lasting initiatives that will be beneficial to the current and the future generation. My country’s concern includes waste management, gender equality, equity issues, curriculum and poverty. It has to all begin with awareness; individuals need to be capacitated and gain an understanding of how important SD is to humankind. This initiative needs collective responsibility and such community of practice will help shape the vision, mission and objectives of the institution to talk to ESD.

• Munuo
      Participant

SD is the development that meet the current and future needs of the society. It include the environment, social justice,economic well being and equity,indigenous knowledge into curriculum and programmes and gender justice.
      The critical concern in our community is unemployment and poor social services such clean and safe water supply and health care.As teacher education,we need to teacher our learner on how they can apply the acquired knowledge and skills in solving difficulties in our community.

• Alfred John Mhando – Tanzania
      Participant

Sustainable development is development which meet the needs of community with minimal destruction (problems)
      Critical SD concerns in my context are indigenous knowledge into curriculum and programes.

• Alfred John Mhando – Tanzania
      Participant

According to National word commission (1987) their definition rely on needs of today and future generations while scot and tough (2003) focuses on individuality(today generation only)

• Anthony Mwakihana
      Participant

SD is a development that brings positive outcomes to the lives of people. People share and implement positive ideas for sustainability.

• bmldlamini
      Participant

Sustainable Development (SD)’developing in the learners skills that will make them keep the environment, social justice , equity among other things and for the future generation to also benefit.
      critical sustainable concerns:
      social justice
      inequality
      life long learning and
      clean environment.

from the definitions above. my understanding of Sustainable development was very shallow but now i can boldly say i understand sustainable development better.

Implications of TE instructional change project are;
      change the policies of the institution , the mission statement to take into consideration sustainable development.
      change the curriculum to cater for sustainable development

• Beatrice
      Participant

Sustainable development is making sure that what we are doing today should not affect our future leaders we should make sure that we sustain the environment without compromising the future

Making sure that our mission and vision statements should not only focus on todays environment but also the future

The implication is to do the green computing as well as digital learning

• Mdachita
      Participant

Sustainable development involves putting in place measures that will help you today without destroying your future exploits. Therefore ESD entails planning well today for the future.

• Cpwe
      Participant

How do you understand the concept of sustainable development?
      – It means conserving our soil for our future generations
      What are the main sustainable development issues affecting your community and country? – – There are climate changes such as earthquakes, drought, pollution. poverty \, gender imbalance, violence, corruption, unemployment of youth
      – Our change project aimed at improving the surrounding by keeping the environment clean and imparting skills of recycling waste materials to our students
      Consider the two definitions of sustainable development discussed. How can these guide your ESD work
      – To focus on conserving the soil and maintaining our natural resources for our generation to use it now and in the future

• David Maguza
      Participant

Sustainable development is development that does not deplete natural resources. It is development that preserves resources for future generations but also takes into consideration that it harmonizes developmental activities with nature. SD issues affecting my community include impacts of climate change in the form of recurring droughts and other extreme weather events, loss of biodiversity, gender inequality, unemployment, poverty and social injustice.

Sustainable development is a learning process, it evolves with time. It relates to the circumstances that one is in.

There is need to first assess the situation/circumstances of all those (teachers, learners, community etc.) that are involved in my ESD work. If we are all having the same understanding then our efforts will be sustainable. In Malawi we have also a big problem on how to dispose the waste

• David Maguza
      Participant

Sustainable development is a learning process, it evolves with time. It relates to the circumstances that one is in and looks for the future of the world on climate change

There is need to first assess the situation/circumstances of all those (teachers, learners, community etc.) that are involved in my ESD work. If we are all having the same understanding then our efforts will be sustainable.

• SbusisoM
      Participant

Sustainable development is what I do today and how it affects my future. It is an action that should not end with me but that which will make the environment suitable for everyone because of the action I took.
      Ours as lecturers in the Architecture field is to impart knowledge to students on how to resolve design issues relevant to sustainability.

• kmwalweni
      Participant

Sustainable Development refers to making a careful use of resources from our environment as we embark on our development agenda.The thinking is that same resources are useful today will remain useful tomorrow and even to the future generations. Exhausting environmental resources leads to halting development activities. Sustainability of developments emanates from a sustained environment. We therefore need to embrace a transformative learning approach that will help to create a sustained developing healthy environment.
      Critical SD issues with our community include climate change effects like drought, rising temperatures and loss in soil fertility. Our Change project hopes to mitigate such effects by creating a green environment through organic manure making and water harvesting which will be applied to fruit trees,other trees and vegetable gardens.

• Sibusiso
      Participant

Sustainable development is about striving to engage only in initiatives that have the most of benefits to us who are part of the current generation and if possible to future generations. The benefits should be those that meet requirements of equitable use of natural resources, minimizing by all means possible any identifiable or potential negative impacts, and respecting all principles of justice for all, fair allocation of the economy, and maximum application of locally available knowledge and/or cultural practices.

My views in terms of ESD and Sustainable development are focusing on how best the concept of ESD can be sufficiently embedded in the curriculum to ensure that ESD is made practical and achievable. Curriculum in TEI should be designed in a way that considers the different aspects covered in the definitions of Sustainable development, especially regarding making sure that all endeavours do not compromise the needs for both the current and future generations. Also, I think ESD will be only adequately achieved when TEI start demonstrating fully that the teaching approaches they use do influence students’ abilities to take responsible actions that suit social, political and economical conditions of the areas in which they live.

As already addressed in the foregoing text, in my TE institution, I would advocate for a review of the syllabus for some of the courses to ensure that they all are based on transformative learning methods through which action can also be demonstrated by graduates.

• Thanda
      Participant

Sustainable development is the development the development which involves the aspects of environment, ecology and the society in balancing the well being of future generation by focusing on empowering the quality of human lives,using locally available resources and making sure the natural resources and environment we today is utilized in a sustainable manner to be able to provide for the future generation without compromise and creating a world that is more just and peaceful.

As teacher/ educators we need to ensure that there is active participation of the learners in the transformation of behaviour and acquiring of more skills and knowledge that would empower them to take care of the natural resources and environment and live a just and peaceful life.

• Mkara
      Participant

Sustainable development is development of the community that meets the present needs of generation and future generations with less harmfully in our planet. The critical SD in my community are climate change, drought, loss of biodiversity,economic stress, poverty. My views on ESD reflect understanding SD reflecting two definations mentioned. My view on the first defination is how can development can occured without even little compromising or harm the needs of future generations. As all knowns that any development have both positive outcome and problems. Views on second defination is based on learning to build our capacity to live more sustainably. It is true learning is endless process that can be taking place and adopted according to the current situation or environment that can lead to live more sustainably accordingly. Implication of TE/TVET Instruction change project development is to view some aspects of SD that can be integrated into our national curriculum that will help our community to develop under present and future generations with less harm.

• Glory
      Participant

Sustainable development is development that deals with meeting needs of current generation and not compromising the future generation’s needs. This is done through strengthening social justice, promoting culture heritage and gender equity and preserving other ecosystems. All these can be achieved through transformative and innovative quality education.

Main sustainable development issues in my community and country include a high unemployment rate of the youth, inadequate integration of ICT in the curriculum, climate change, inadequate environmental education practices, practical and entrepreneurial skills.

Our institutional change project involves curriculum transformation to embrace the above mentioned sustainable development issues for a life long living.

• Innocent John
      Participant

Sustainable development is the development which meet the needs of the present without affecting the future generation to meet their own needs

Deforestation is challenge which affect our community as well as our country which resulted into drought

Implications for our change project development is that there will be resistance among community members to plant 10 trees after cutting one tree but later they will be used to it

If we cut one tree today that tree will be replaced by planting 10 trees for future generation so that their needs might be met too

• bkhumalo
      Participant

This is the responsible usage of resources to satisfy our needs today with the view preserving resources to enable future generations meet their needs as well.

What are the main sustainable development issues affecting your community and country?
      Infrastructure development, Exclusivity of people with disabilities, Environmental degradation, reduction in confidence in the justice system, poor social service delivery (inadequate schools and health facilities), low literacy levels leading to low academic achievements and social economic problems such as poverty and unemployment

Our change project is aimed at modelling Inclusiveness of persons living with disabilities this will hopefully improve the infrastructure within our chosen community, which is the college institution and eventually academic achievements for the groups that we shall be focussing on.

Consider the two definitions of sustainable development discussed. How can these guide your ESD work?
      The two definitions will help us focus on changing the current infrastructure of the institution available today for a sustainable tomorrow.

• Absalomwilfred
      Participant

Sustainable development implies continuous learning process which addresses the need of the current society without compromising the needs of the future society in terms of social, political, economic and environmental issues.

The critical sustainable development concern in our community are environmental degradation, social justice and education.

My views on ESD reflect an understanding of sustainable development stated in the two definitions in the following ways: Taking into consideration holistic needs of the present and future generations; Collaborative learning process which is geared towards positive learning outcomes in our context and community at large

The implication is that, the change project should be collaborative learning process and engage participants with different expertise. Also, the change projects should be supported by institution in which you are working with and contributes towards changes of institutional policy ,strategies and vision.

• Cosmasjuhudi
      Participant

Sustainable development means a holistic approach that emphasizes the dynamic relationship among environmental, economic and social and cultural elements for attaining lifelong learning in present and future generation. Therefore the critical concerns of sustainable development in community should be on emphasizing the integration of environmental, economic and social-cultural aspects.

ESD is holistic and transformational education that addresses learning content and outcomes, pedagogy and the learning environment. Thus it does not only integrate contents such as climate change, poverty and sustainable consumption into the curriculum; it also creates interactive, learner centred teaching and learning settings.

The implications for the TE/TVET Instruction Change Project development is that TE/TVET institutions should take full responsibility and accountability to deal intensively with matters of sustainable development and to foster the development of sustainability competencies.

• Mercy Chiwenga
      Participant

Sustainable development is the development which gives a conducive environment for living things to get their needs. The development should enable living things to meet their needs while provide a conducive environment for the future generation to meet their needs as we. My community is facing a challenge with litter management which can lead to death or extinction of some living things thereby destroying the ecosystem. There is also failure to use animal dung as well as its management.The animal dung is also left close to houses polluting air and becoming a breeding place for germs..
      Our change project can manage the litter which can be reused in various ways
      This will guide us on researching more on the challenges our community is facing
      Finding healthy sustainable lifestyle to make our community a better place for all living things.

• Tony
      Participant

Having gone through the definitions of Sustainable Development by the United Nations World Commission on Environment and Development (1987), and Scott & Gough (2003), i understand sustainable development as a conscious lifestyle built on mindful utilization of the available resources to meet the present needs while being responsible for future generations to also meet their own needs.

In my community, we are faced by environmental degradation, unemployment and social & economic inequalities as some of the critical sustainable development concerns.

My views on ESD adequately reflect an understanding of the definition of sustainable development, and i strongly hope that the change project being developed will enhance environmental sustainability, inculcate entrepreneurship skills and promote social and economic equality

• Henry
      Participant

Sustainable development is development that allows use of natural resources for development while at the same time putting measuresbto replace then for future gemerations

Some issues of concern in. My society include water availability prroblems, climate change, pollution of land water and air and food shortage problems.

Education for sustainable development is Education that ensured present economic development and reporting putting replenishing measures to preserve natural resources for future use..

• Starnford Ngaunje
      Participant

Sustainable development is a development that aims at bringing a positive change to current and future generations.

Since ESD empowers learners to make right decisions and have a responsibility for environment , economy and their societies hence more people understands sustainable development.

• THEODOZIA BANDIYA
      Participant

The United Nations World Commission on Environment and Development (1987), and Scott & Gough (2003), sustainable development as a conscious lifestyle built on mindful utilization of the available resources to meet the present needs while being responsible for future generations to also meet their own needs, There fore sustainable development focuses on maintaining the resources at present and keep on focusing for future generation.

The community IS facing the problems on environmental pollutions, climate change and social economic inequalities as some of the critical issues which needs to be addressed for sustainable development concerns.

My views on ESD reflect an understanding of the definitions of sustainable development, and I hope the change project being developed will enhance environmental sustainability.

• Lungsta
      Participant

SD is the development that focuses on meeting the needs of the current generation while preserving the environment, strengthening social justice, promoting gender equality and equity, promoting culture heritage, economic well-being for all, and preservation of various ecosystems for our future generation. Our community are faced with the above SD issues and as an institution that is supposed to embrace SD as a learning process to build capacity to live sustainably, it’s curriculum is not informed by SD and ESD principles. Thus the implication of our ESD change project is to come up with curriculum implementation innovations to embrace the SD and ESD principles in the training of teachers. The two definitions of SD is a reminder that our ESD change project responds to SD issues and acts as a learning process for sustainable living.

• pnamphande
      Participant

SD is development that is environmentally friendly

• Mwanamrisho
      Participant

sustainable development is the positives changes that community or nation plan and do today but it will live to the future life for future generation to benefit with them

on the side of ESD is also apart of sustainable development since if we teach our students preserve the environment and they were going to teach their students during practice and actual teaching as their professions will enhance the sustainability of education with environment conservation.

this implies that we are going to teach our students to use local materials to prepare teaching and learning resources this will preserve the environment but also enhance long term memory learning for our students and it may be a part of stimulating sustainable development

• Rebslanyandza
      Participant

sustainable development is that which meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. the resources should be valued and preserved in the present and used efficiently and preserved for future generations.
      the students must value what is available and preserve it, be able to turn what may otherwise be deemed useless to convert and use to alleviate poverty.

• johnk2021
      Participant

Sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the current and future generations. Secondly, it is a learning process, where the community is engaged in learning ways of attaining a just future for all, in all aspects of life, that is socially, economically, politically and the care for the physical environment.
      the community around the university is ravaged by high unemployment rate, food shortage and poor agricultural practices. our change project is aimed at improving the livelihood of the present community, so that the future of generations will be better.
      As we assist the present community through education for sustainable development, a more just future for all is guaranteed..
      the community members will be trained on traditional agricultural practices, like drip irrigation for water preservation, the use of heap farming, use of compost instead of fertilizers, to minimize impacts of fertilizers on the soils and the produce. We will make use of old newspaper, metals and other recyclable that improve the soil structure and fertility.
      Our ESD work will be informed by the two definitions of sustainable development in that, whilst the livelihoods of current community is improved, that will translate into improved lives of future generations. Secondly, education for sustainable development will be used as a tool and a learning process to share new ways of attaining satisfactory livelihoods in the community.

• MTITIMA
      Participant

How do you understand the concept of sustainable development? What are the main sustainable development issues affecting your community and country?
      SD is a concept that comprises the humanity ideology of meeting your needs to enable others achieve their needs by playing your highest positive potential role.
      main issues affecting my community and the country includes but not limited to gender and children based violence, youth unemployment, lack of practical and innovative education system, poor and unsustainable teacher professional development programmes in TE/TVT, poor incorporation of ICT knowledge and skills in the teaching and learning process among teacher educators and policy makers.
      our change project change will create a strong awareness to tutors, student teachers and the community to start integrating ICT kwoledge they own for creating environmental awareness issues, gender and children based violence
      the definitions will guide us to innovate a project change that is user friendly, simple and that can be accepted by diversity community users with both high and low level of understanding.

• clchilikutali
      Participant

1. My understanding of Sustainable Development is that it is the development that focusses on finding solutions of the needs of the present without compromising the ability of the generations to come in order to meet their own needs. The main Sustainable Development issues affecting our community and country are deforestation and unpredictable weather conditions which are impacting the agricultural sector.
      2.The main implication for our Change project is mind-set change for the community to be fully responsible and understanding at the same time own the project.
      3. The definitions will guide in ensuring involvement of all people within the community of practice that have different knowledge, skills and values and also involvement of all people despite their differences be it gender, economic, socio-cultural etc. It also helps to consider indigenous and modern knowledge in working on this development.

• JESCA RYATURA
      Participant

SD is a state of preserving natural resources for future generation.

The main sustainable development issues affecting our community and country are;
      1. gender imbalance 2. inequality 3.poverty 4. corruption 5. unemployment 6. pollution,climate change and environment degradation

The implications for our TE change project targets at improving teaching and learning materials through ICT in order to reduce paper work so as to preserve environment

The two definitions of SD can guide our ESD work in focusing on ICT as a tool which will simplify teaching and learning processes in order to preserve environment for future generation

• bhekisisah
      Participant

I understand Sustainable Development to mean development that makes use of the available resources in a more responsible way, taking into consideration that the resources are finite and therefore might/ are most likely to be needed for the same use or other more important uses in the future. Also, included in sustainable development is that the development must profit/ be of relevance to the now and the future accompanied by productions that are as cost effective as possible for long period of times.
      Critical sustainable development concerns in my community are acquiring life long skills relevant for self, family, community and nation development for a more prolonged/ assured future that we all desire

To a greater extent, my views on ESD do take into consideration the benefit of the current and future generations and preservation of resources for future generations to find and make use of too if they so desire/ need to.
      Again with respect to to the definition by Scott and Gough, the critical concerns for my community that I raised are educational based, which means that there is a need to acquire skills relevant to sustainability.

The implications for our institution’s change project development are that we must be alive to the fact that our change project has to benefit the current generation and future generations and also try to educate one another to be more accommodative of one another and equip each other on ways to achieve that.

• Rebslanyandza
      Participant

it is development that meets needs of present generation without compromising needs of future generations. ensuring sustainability of all resources bearing in mind the implication that resources should be used wisely to improve livelihood of all generations now and later.
      therefore the institutions must align the curriculum that the project should change the generation for now and for the future.

• dludluin
      Participant

Sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations taking into consideration the society, environment, culture and economy which are intertwined. It aims at promoting gender equality and equity, cultural heritage, preservation of ecosystem and economic well being.
      As my country’s concern includes unemployment and poor social services,so, as teacher educators there is the need to develop a balanced and full curriculum that will incorporate practical skills, entrepreneurial skills, integration of culture and indigenous knowledge for economic, social and environmental projection.

• sphelelelukhele@gmail.com
      Participant

Sustainable development is development which tries to meet the needs of the present generation without compromising the needs of the future generation. This means that we use the available resources wisely and sparingly having in mind about the generation to come.

• Khosie
      Participant

My understanding of sustainable development is that it is more than a concept. It is an action-oriented approach that produces tangible results for short-term, mid-term and long-term. It is an undertaking to better the now and improve a future one may not even be part of.
      Critical sustainable development concerns in my community include locally developed training manuals that promote learner interaction, critical thinking, real case application, action learning and self-evaluation throughout the learning journey.
      My views on ESD embrace the definitions provided in this action learning item. ESD must produce results and change. It should be traceable and measurable.
      The implications for my TVET change project are sustainable knowledge creation skills that can also be imparted on the learners. An understanding and demonstration that it is okay to develop knowledge and learning resources rather than just consuming what is readily available. And also an appreciation that it is okay to question, to differ and criticize for the purpose of adding value and enhancing the already existing.
      Our diversity make us unique and contributes to a sustainable future that embraces life-long learning.

Participant

Sustainable development are developments done that meet our current needs and future needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs as well. An ideal sustainable development change project ensures that nobody is left behind, everyone is considered and included in the change.
      Our main sustainable development issues affecting our community and country is the lack of understanding and knowledge in living with persons with disability. Some still view persons with disability as a curse, A burden, they do not want to be involved or be bothered as they view them as not their equal, having the same equal rights as everyone else and that results in persons with disability to be overlooked in terms of him or her being given an equal chance be it at work or life in general.
      The implications for our TVET Change Project development is the change of our intake to include persons with disabilities, ensuring that once they have been accepted to the college they will get the quality education they deserve and the environment is ready and can accommodate i.e building of ramps for wheelchair bound individuals. Also our attitudes towards persons with disabilities will be changed as we will have gained knowledge in the process.

• Lucy Njunga
      Participant

Sustainable Development is development that does not destroy the environment. It is a learning process to build capacity in individuals(teachers, learners,community members) to live a sustainable life.
      The critical sustainable development concerns in my community are; environmental degradation, poor/improper waste management, floods, hunger, poverty,unemployment, child abuse,social injustices, gender imbalances.
      My views on ESD based on the two sustainable development definitions are; sustainable development is a learning process. Education is a vehicle to achieving a more sustainable future that will stand out for many years to come.
      The implication is that, no one person can do the change project alone as it require input from other stakeholders such as teachers, students, support staff and the community as a whole.

• sphelelelukhele@gmail.com
      Participant

Sustainable development is development which tries to meet the needs of the present generation without compromising the needs of the future generation. This means that we use the available resources wisely and sparingly having in mind about the generation to come.
      Implications on our change project include : lack of resources, lack of time, rotational learning in the institution and lack of expertise for the project.

The definitions will help us to always have in mind about using resource in a proper way such that they are conserved for the future generation while meeting the needs of the present generation.
      It will help guide us in ensuring that our projects are sustained and of good help to our society.

• Sandile
      Participant

Sustainable development is the development that addresses the needs of the present without compromising the needs of future generations. that means we have to use resources wisely especially to recycle and use resources as much as possible. I think mostly our community is trying to deal with waste pollution which can be addressed through recycling and reusing other products.

our project is based on inclusive education of which I think we have to include those students in our community and curriculum without completely changing the present curriculum.

• madonselae
      Participant

Sustainable development is the development that deals with meeting needs of current generations without compromising needs of the future generations, through strengthening social justice, promoting culture heritage and gender equity.
      This needs transformative and innovative quality education
      The main sustainable development issues in my country and community include high unemployment rate and lack of intrepreneuurial skills.
      In my institution our change project involves curriculum transformation.

• Belusile
      Participant

Sustainable Development id development that meets the needs of the current generation without compromising the ability of the future generations to meet their own need. This kind of development considers local communities and maintain their dignity at all time and also has space for indigenous knowledge.

• Katenge
      Participant

Sustainable development to me is a kind of development that aims at assisting the present generation to maintain its environment with the purpose of protecting the environment so that the future generations should also be able to use and enjoy its fruits.

• Bonsile Dlamini
      Participant

Sustainable development is anything done by people to boost their income and taking care of the environment

• Sandra@94
      Participant

Sustainable development is the development that meets the needs of the present without endangering future generations to meet their needs.

Increasing global instability, including financial crisis and the political turmoil

• Treza
      Participant

Sustainable development reflect the use of natural resources to fulfil current human needs while considering the needs of the coming generation.
      The current critical sustainable development concern in my community is impacts of climate change take into consideration majority of people in my country are subsistence farmers who rely heavily on climate.
      ESD reflect the understanding of sustainable development in the sense that students will engage on practices which focus on ways to address issues facing the community. For example the issue of climate change students will learn about practical exercise to reduce the impacts. The two definition reminds us that sustainable development is a continuous process.

• Fanny Njaidi
      Participant

My understanding of Sustainable development is that it takes into account natural resources by preserving resources for future generations at the same time takes into consideration of the developmental activities one must do with the resources/nature.
      SD issues affecting my community include effects of climate change such as drought, floods, poverty among others

ESD reflects on the understanding of SD in the sense that students should reflect on ways of how they can focus and be engaged with issues concerning their community and how to address those issues.

Sustainable development is a process. Therefore, there is need to first assess the situation together with teachers, students as well as the community.

• emakupa@yahoo.co.uk
      Participant

Sustainable development refers to any human action in different aspects that aims to meet the needs of the current generation without compromising the needs of the future generation. These aspects are in term of social, economic, political, cultural and environment.

• Criss Matenga
      Participant

Sustainable development is a process of using available resources to meet human needs however taking care and preserving those resources to be available for future generations

The whole world is experiencing climate changes as a result of pollutants that destroy the ozone layer therefore the project is aimed at reducing the land degradation by alleviating and then eradicating the use of foam packs starting from our college. Skills, values and attitude would be developed toward making our college free from polystyrene foam pack pollutant.

Improving capacity building by engaging the prospective teachers in discouraging the use of foam packs. They would develop skills and values that would help them become change agents in their villages and in schools of their employment to save the environment

• Busi Shongwe
      Participant

“Sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present, without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.” …I like the definition as it implies that for ESD to be sustained we need to mind the present and as we take care of it the future endeavors are also preserved. All too often, development is driven by one particular need, without fully considering the wider or future impacts.

For instance, some waste items that we throw in the landfills , are harmful to the environment whereas if they were used to generate useful items it would not be lying in landfills but be of benefit to the learners and sustenance to their livelihoods.

• Mshengu
      Participant

sustainable development is aimed at teaching the society about preserving nature

• MELUSI
      Participant

Sustainable Development
      I understand the common definition of sustainable development to be the “development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.” This definition ushers two essentialities. Firstly, overarching significance should be given to meeting the essential needs of the world’s poor, who, usually, do not have access to have the fruits of development. Secondly, we have to be extremely cautious of resource depletion, which will deny the genuine needs of the future generations.
      I also personally understand Sustainable Development to be “development of: progress, extension, expansion, enlargement, improvement in environment; social evolutionism (catching up with the developed and industrialized countries); individualism (developing the personality of human being, self-confidence, dignity, happiness); economism (achieving growth, income); and Intensifiers (more democratic and participatory, grass root) assumptions within the “carrying capacity of supporting system/s” such as the Environment, Economics and Society.
      Furthermore, I consider sustainable development as the art of managing the use, development, and protection of natural and physical resources in a way, or at a rate, which enables people and communities to provide for their social, economic, and cultural well-being and for their health and safety while—
      i. sustaining the potential of natural and physical resources (excluding minerals) to meet the reasonably foreseeable needs of future generations; and
      ii. safeguarding the life-supporting capacity of air, water, soil, and ecosystems; and
      iii. avoiding, remedying, or mitigating any adverse effects of activities on the environment
      In Eswatini we have a number of policies and legislations that strive to promote sustainable development principles. These are legislations such as the Environmental Management Act No. 5 of 2002.

Education for Sustainable Development
      The art of incorporating the principles of sustainable development into education for the best, safe and healthy environment or future we need. It is a process intended to deal with human behavior to avoid high level of environmental or resource depletion for the benefit of both the present and future generations.
      Education for sustainable development (ESD) is a process that strives to promote the development of knowledge, skills, understanding, values and actions required to create a sustainable world (the Africa we want), which ensures environmental protection and conservation, promotes social equity and encourages economic sustainability.
      There is need to review our curricula to ensure the incorporation of sustainable development principles. Teachers, students and the community need to be introduced into to the culture of aligning their daily operations with the provisions of the sustainable development goals to ensure we achieve the Africa we want by 2063.
      Any development project should consider resource conservation, environmental protection, social justice, progression, expansion, individualism, and economism to name but a few.

• Isaac Lupiya
      Participant

Sustainable development is, to my understanding mostly involves effective plannings on the best actions to preserve todays or current environment for the future benefits. The idea is to realise that the environment is changing to the worst, being diffficult to live in. However, sustaining the environment is one way out, probably the best. Its not one mans work thou. It can involve several individuals as well as communities. Planning is the first core step, like in the previous case study….the plans could have steps to act as guildlines. It is to be noted that sustainable development may surely take time.

• Senzo Magagula
      Participant

According to my understanding, Sustainable development is advocating for self reliance and the ability to learn how to fish instead of being given the fish. It also calls for the use of resources by the current generation without compromising the possibility of getting a share of those resources by the upcoming generation. It is more about conservation of resources. Education for Sustainable development is ideal if the goal is to breed a generation that will be self reliant cognitively. If learners are taught well conservatism, the future generation can benefit profusely and further pass the baton to those who will come after them.

• Tee137678
      Participant

> Sustainable development as a concept rests on three pillars, ie; environmental (physical), economic, and social. It allows for current generations to pursue development which seeks to improve living standards by economic empowerment, ensuring societal participation to ascertain society’s sense of belonging/ownership, while protecting the environment. This, basically allows for the utilization of the earth’s natural resources for economic upliftment with protection of the environment in mind. This will ensure future generations will be able to enjoy the same resources in the same manner the current generation is enjoying them.
      > Education for Sustainable development on the other hand focuses on laying the foundation for sustainable development on the citizenry. It provides the opportunity to integrate the sustainability agenda through formal education in all levels to ensure that sustainability becomes a way of life for the people.
      > The implication for the change project is that it should provide an opportunity for the development of frameworks and practices of teaching and learning of sustainable development. The Change Project should focus on how best we can theoretically teach sustainable development and further practice it at a small scale for learners to be able to integrate such projects to their communities and view it as a way of life other than one of the subjects offered at school.
      > The two definitions of sustainable development will influence the change project by ensuring that the project has some economic benefit, with society’s involvement (which will be the learners) and protects the environment by utilization of natural resources in a sustainable manner.

Viewing 91 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.