Home Forums Café Forum Learning Action 1 Reflect on Learning Action 1

Viewing 56 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Look back at what has been discussed in this Learning Action 1. In the forum, reflect on …

• How this Learning Action has helped you to re-view your TE/TVET programmes?
      • How can you work towards a more critical understanding of SD and ESD in your context?
      • What still needs to be discussed and taken forward?
      • Can you prepare some suggestions for colleagues / your department / your TE/TVET institution? What would you emphasise?
    • L Du Plooy
      Participant

How this Learning Action has helped you to re-view your TE/TVET programmes?
      Basically it helped by do ascertain whether our TE programmes are aligned to SDG’s and more importantly SDG 4. A critical review of programmes using the ACTION LEARNING FRAMEWORK would be a useful exercise in order to identify gaps and make our programmes more responsive to ESD.
      How can you work towards a more critical understanding of SD and ESD in your context?
      Start by reviewing module content (what we teach), pedagogy (how we teach) assessment (finding alternative assessment methods) that help in the development of 21st teacher competencies.
      What still needs to be discussed and taken forward?
      Who is ultimately responsible -or rather who will take up responsibility for transformative changes in the Faculty. To identify like-minded people willing to drive ESD within the faculty.
      Can you prepare some suggestions for colleagues / your department / your TE/TVET institution? What would you emphasise?
      1. Identify the ‘Change Agents’ or ‘Charge Drivers’
      2. Follow the Action Learning Framework – critically take each TE programme through the process of assessing its responsiveness to SD and ESD, GAP priority areas and SDG 4
      3. Establish CoP in different programmes and across programmes
      Placing emphasis on SDG 4 with specific reference to Target 4.7, the GAP priority areas, and developing teachers for ESD and the 21st century competencies

• Aubrey
      Participant

– How this learning action has helped you to re-view your Teacher Education programmes?
      Learning Action 1 has helped me understand the major differences and similarities between SD and ESD and think about content I teach in my own context. It has further allowed me to re-look at the institution mission statement and the vision and how they relate to the SDGs and the ESD especially for the 21st century teacher we train.
      – How can you work towards a more critical understanding of SD and ESD in your context?
      There is need to identify the existing gaps in the TE curriculum so that it is in line with the SDG 4, Target 7 and ensure that the ESD is the focus of the learning that goes on everyday.
      – What still needs to be discussed and taken forward?
      Assessment part has been missing in line with ESD. So, there is need to work more towards assessment of student participation in the projects under ESD so that this can also be part of the final score in all subjects assessed. Furthermore, find out the extent the SDGs and ESD have been implemented in the curriculum at TE level.
      – Can you prepare some suggestions for colleagues/your department/your TE institution? What would you emphasize?
      There must be emphasis on how Teacher Educators integrate or incorporate ESD in their daily planning and teaching against the allocated time in the curriculum. Also would emphasize on the students involvement in all Change Projects so as for them to acquire the necessary sustainable skills and competences for future survival.

• Charles
      Participant

• How this Learning Action has helped you to review your TE/TVET programmes?
      Helped look at the programmes provided with an SD and ESD lenses.
      • How can you work towards a more critical understanding of SD and ESD in your context?
      Work towards integrating SD and ESD in as many programmes as possible.
      Lobby with other schools in the University to integrate elements of SD and ESD as much as possible
      • Can you prepare some suggestions for colleagues / your department / your TE/TVET institution? What would you emphasise?
      Emphasise the importance of understanding SD and ESD and integrating them in their programmes.

• Emma
      Participant

It has helped me to understand that our programmes do not respond to SD and ESD. The learning outcomes, content, pedagogy and assessment focused on qualifications than social transformation. critical understanding of SD and ESD depends on working together as an institution in try to integrate SD issues and ESD principle in our programmes. to move forward we need to build capacity building among the members of staff in ESD and try to get to identify at the course level how we can respond to SD and ESD by mainstreaming ESD principles in the course learning outcomes, content, pedagogy and assessment.

• Claire
      Participant

The learning action 1 has helped me to understand that our programmes respond to SD and ESD. The learning outcomes, content, pedagogy and assessment are focused on skills such as social transformation. critical understanding of SD and ESD which depend on working together as an institution to integrate SD issues and ESD principle in our programmes.

• Heather
      Participant

• How this Learning Action has helped you to review your TE/TVET programmes?
      It has helped to reflect on the programmes provided with an SD and ESD lenses.
      By working towards integration of SD and ESD in as many programmes as possible.
      Lobby with other schools in the University to buy in the concept and integrate elements of SD and ESD as much as possible
      The emphasis is would be on the importance of understanding SD and ESD and how to integrate them in their programmes.

• Haamoonga
      Participant

Learning Action 1 has helped me to re-view my TE/TVET programmes as follows:
      -It has provided a number of insights regarding SD and ESD that need to be incorporated in teacher education since teachers play a fundamental role in initiating change as well as transforming society.
      -It has also encouraged me as a teacher educator to see myself as a key player in bringing about positive change in my institution in terms of SD and ESD.Hence getting the motivation to aim at initiating change accordingly

I can work towards a more critical understanding of SD and ESD in my context by:
      – Reflecting on the core business of teacher education and evaluating the extent to which my institution embraces principles of SD and ESD for example in terms of content or methodology.

What still needs to be discussed and taken forward is:
      -Wholesome responsibility on the need for achieving SD and ESD at teacher training level.
      -Preparation of teaching and learning material for achieving SD and ESD.
      -Routine reviews on how SD and ESD can be achieved at teacher education level
      -Creation of a policy statement on SD and ESD at institutional level.
      -Capacity building on SD and ESD at institutional level.

Some suggestions for colleagues / my department / my TE/TVET institution- What I would emphasise:
      -SD and ESD are fundamental to creating a more meaningful package for teacher education trainees,thus they must be given the attention they deserve.
      -My colleagues should see themselves as major agents of achieving SD and ESD because they understand better what they are and are better placed to taking them forward.
      -My institution should be seen to appreciate the importance of SD and ESD and it should create opportunities that allow achieving SD and ESD.
      -SD and ESD require everyone’s involvement and as such every effort must be made to incorporate everyone.

• Mamohato
      Participant

Learning Action 1 has helped in identifying the gaps in the programmes. I have developed a better understanding of sustainable development and education for sustainable development. The programmes offered respond to ESD and SD issues. Mission states that the institution is committed to providing professional education and training, promoting research and community outreach. It also provides guidance on commercialized agriculture through combining theory and practical as well as research methodologies. It aims at producing competent graduates, responsive to clientele needs. Therefore in my opinion the programmes offered are inline with ESD and SD.
      A more critical understanding of SD and ESD can be achieved by reviewing all the programmes and reinforcing SD issues in the curriculum and in teaching. More emphasis on ESD and SD activities that would change the mind set of educators students.
      What is needed is to review the vision and mission to see if it reflects SD and ESD principles so that even those who are not aware of ESD and SD issues can develop a common understanding of ESD and SD .
      The institution has to ensure that the vision and mission include SD and ESD issues. This will help those who are less familiar with the concepts of SD and ESD to develop a better understanding. There must also be an increase in the capacity of educators and trainers to more effectively deliver education for sustainable development. Colleagues have to ensure learner-centered instructional strategies that will enable exploratory, action-oriented and transformative learning.

• Masekholomi
      Participant

Learning action 1 helped me to develop a common understanding of sustainable development and ESD. It helped in the review of our institutional vision and mission statement to see if it reflects some of the principles and commitments of strong sustainability and ESD. It further helped to think on how to modify the programme towards achieving the SDG4.
      By identify the gaps in the programme which will help in reconstructing the programme that will create an enabling environment for ESD and to bring about the systemic change. The institution needs to increase the capacity of the educators so that they acquire more skills and knowledge about ESD, in order for them to deliver ESD more effectively. Emphasis will be on designing teaching and training models which are learner centered , stimulate learning and promote core competence. Also they should empower learners to transform themselves and their societies.

• Leonard Nkhata
      Participant

The learning action 1 has helped me to understand that the relationship between SD and ESD. Further it has become clear that learning outcomes, content, pedagogy and assessment should be directed by the institutional national and global visions and strategies. Another great lesson is that our institutional vision and mission statements were to reflect SD and ESD principles for the betterment of our institutions and society.

• Emma@Barnett
      Participant

Learning Action 1 has helped us to reflect on ITE programme and in particular the module we hope to base our Change project on. It has helped us to develop a common understanding of sustainable development as well as ESD. We could use our understanding to evaluate our vision and mission of the university and to the extent, we are in line with ESD principles

• ahamwiinga
      Participant

1. It has helped me to relook at our mission statement and the vision to see how far it speaks to SD and ESD. This also made me understand that sustainability can best be defined in the local context of what is happening responds to SD and ESD
      2. A further reflection on our mission and vision statements for a smooth run of our change projects and how best ESD can be incorporated in academic activities of the Students.

3. What is still needed to be done is to bring SD and ESD programs home by localising and making it our own if we were to see any impact.

4. Let ESD be part and parcel of the learning and assessment process of the training of students by adding it in the curriculum.
      One of the suggestions is Including ESD in the assessment process. Another suggestion is the actualisation of ESD by involving students in the change project and make it part of the final grades.

• Portia
      Participant

Learning Action 1 has helped me to analyse and reflect on our Vision and mission statement and the curricula policies.
      The gaps that are in these which need to be adjusted so that there is explicit inclusion of SDs and ESDs

ESD Change projects which are in context with the institutions must be enforced explicitly.

The presentations on assessments made me reflect on not only integrate ESD but device assessment processes which allign with ESD.

• Shimuunza
      Participant

This learning action has helped me see through the college mission and vision with new lenses-the lenses of ESD and SD. Ive had time to check for the presence of the two in both the mission and vision.
      The only gap Ive identified is at the level of implementation. Often times than not, what we do as an institution in terms of ESD/SD or GCED id devoid of a deeper awareness and consciousness.
      There is need therefore to reposition ESD/ESD and GCED in their right places, by creating the relevancy and linkage to real community and environmental challenges that we face as a society.

• KOLOTI
      Participant

It helped me to analyse the College vision and mission statement and reflect on the programmes offered. To check whether ESD and SD objectives are included, that is to say, to identify a gap.
      How can you work towards a more critical understanding of SD and ESD in your context?
      I have to engage College community to discuss ways implementing College objectives more effectively and also to review vision and mission statements.
      We still have to discuss about how the principles of ESD can be integrated in the vision and mission statement as well as in the programme.
      Can you prepare some suggestions for colleagues / your department / your TE/TVET institution? What would you emphasise?
      All the college programmes have to be reviewed to include ESD principles and to address the needs of the nations.

• Mantoetse
      Participant

This LA has been important for the clarification of sustainable development and also to indicate more views on the issues of SD.
      SD and ESD cannot be understood without being put into the context of everyday life. Once we think about what is sustainable development we can quit clearly see what is unsustainable. We can therefore be able to think about how to educate people in relation to sustainability and or unsustainability. Thus we can talk about Education (for) sustainable development.
      My institution being teacher education focused, it needs to focus more on the practical aspect of sustainable living. We need to emphasize on doing everything in a sustainable way so that teachers and students walk a sustainable walk NOT to talk sustainability. Education from experiential point of view.

• Mantoetse
      Participant

This LA has been important for the clarification of sustainable development and also to indicate more views on the issues of SD.
      SD and ESD cannot be understood without being put into the context of everyday life. Once we think about what is sustainable development we can quit clearly see what is unsustainable. We can therefore be able to think about how to educate people in relation to sustainability and or unsustainability. Thus we can talk about Education (for) sustainable development.
      My institution being teacher education focused, it needs to focus more on the practical aspect of sustainable living. We need to emphasize on doing everything in a sustainable way so that teachers and students walk a sustainable walk NOT to talk sustainability. Education from experiential point of view.

• Kalumiana Mwangala Connie
      Participant

1. It has made me to be clear on what sustainable development and education sustainable development is
      2.on the critical understanding of SD and ESD,it is better to understand the differences between the institutional programme and sustainable development as well as ESD
      3.There is need to convince learners on the main objects of ESD on order to change there mind set . The way forward is to integrate ESD into the curriculum that will spill over syllabus and finally to lesson planning
      4. By involving the ESD in assessment programmes.
      _By integrating students in the implementation of change project

• Portia
      Participant

Learning Action 1 has helped me to analyse and reflect on our Vision and mission statement and the curricula policies.
      The gaps that are in these which need to be adjusted so that there is explicit inclusion of SDs and ESDs

ESD Change projects which are in context with the institutions must be enforced explicitly.

The presentations on assessments made me reflect on not only integrate ESD but device assessment processes which allign with ESD.

• fundisa
      Participant

test

• DJLMP
      Participant

I can say that learning action 1 has really assisted me to know my weakness as well the weakness of our institution whenever we are conducting our various duties.In additional to that now I have a better understanding of SD,ESD as well as SDGs which most of our institutions don’t forcuss on it but their main forcuss is only imparting skill and knowledge without much putting into consideration of ESD,SD and SDGs in their course level as well as their Mission and Vision statements.Now I know it’s a must when curriculum is being innovated and even when we will be conducting our duties we should always put in mind the SD,ESD and SDGs as much as possible.

• Joshua
      Participant

This learning has improved and widened my understanding on how to review our TVET programme considering the issues of Sustainable development and how ESD can guarantee a sustainable change.
      To work towards a more critical understanding of SD and ESD in our context is to read extensively on the scope of SDGs and how they can be inculcated in the curriculum. The only way to engage my colleagues is to undertake a close look at what the programme is intending to achieve based on the SDGs.

• Kelvin Haule
      Participant

Learning Action ! has been very much useful for me. It has offered me a new thinking, values and skills on how to advocate for SD and ESD.

Since i started participating in this course i have been advocating for inclusion of sustainability aspects in our curriculum we are reviewing. I also stressed for transformation of our teaching and learning strategies, assessment to shift towards open ended, fostering creativity, innovation and enhancement of competencies

• Dumile
      Participant

I have been able to determine the extent of alignment of the PTD program with SDGs. even the teaching approach of enquiry -based T/L is aligned to ESD. A MORE DETAILED APROACH WOULD BE TO REVIEW THE SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES, review the teaching methods and assessment strategies. they would be an indictor of ESD alignment. I would ensure the success of the project by involving people who had previously shown enthusiasm when we tried to start the review last year. the next step would be to train them, especially on the Action Learning Framework. next I would organise workshops because they also need to get the understanding that we are getting from this course. For now we still need to write a proposal to faculty dean , so that the proposal can be presented to Senate. we can then progress from there.

• Job Stephen Kyamogi
      Participant

This learning action has helped me to review my TE programmes by offering dimensions of ESD to guide my thinking that is:Learning content, Pedagogy and learning environments, Learning outcomes and Societal transformation. With these dimensions, I was able to see how they reflect SD and ESD. I found that in some of our course outlines, intentions to integrate SD and ESD were reflected to a little extent. In other courses, they were not reflected at all. in my context, working towards a more critical understanding of SD and ESD will require collaboration with all stakeholders and more specifically the CoP am part of. what still needs to be discussed and taken forward is how we will utilise the qualitative data that will be got after the document analysis of our course outlines that is how this data will help us ‘craft’ our CP. I have already prepared suggestions with emphasis on what is informing our CP that is the outcome of the document analysis and contextual realities in our greenable spaces.

• SHABANI NGALAWA DIBWANGA
      Participant

This leaning action has reminded me that my teaching actions and the planned activities should base in sustainable development and should also base on environmental conservation so as to change the people’s mind and live a new life which consider and respect the suitable and sustainable use of our resources for the future generations

• fundisa
      Participant

Welcome!

• Anthony Mwakihana
      Participant

The learning action has been an eye opener to me. My thinking and actionsee on the pedagogy were centred on certifiction other than incorporating SD and ESD principles in course work.
      It is high time as teachers to be on the interface for change especially on sustainable development. Our efforts should not only be focused on certification results but also incorporating the ideas of ESD based on SDG 4. Involving the community in Sustainable Development projects is of paramount importance as they can help in sensitising their children (learnets) on the importance of working together for sustainable development.

• JOSHUA OKELO
      Participant

1.How this Learning Action 1has helped you to re-view your TE/TVET programmes?
      Basically it has helped me ascertain whether our TE programmes are aligned to SDG’s especially SDG 4. Also by critically reviewing our programmes using the action learning framework it will help identify gaps and make our programmes more articulate.
      2.How can you work towards a more critical understanding of SD and ESD in your context?
      Start by reviewing our programs i.e what we teach, how we teach and assessment tools we use in connection to SD and ESD.
      3.What still needs to be discussed and taken forward?
      How the change project will be carried forward after the end of the programme.
      4. Can you prepare some suggestions for colleagues / your department / your TE/TVET institution? What would you emphasise?
      Suggestion: Identify the gaps and establish CoP in different departments.
      I put emphasis on SDG 4 specifically developing teachers for ESD and the 21st century competencies.

• Majimbehilary
      Participant

*How this Learning Action has helped you to re-view your TE/TVET programmes? Learning Action 1 has helped me to conceptualize SD, ESD as well as their departure. On the other hand it has helped to reflect on the Teacher Education and programmes offered at my TEI in relationship to SDG especially Goal no 4.7
      *How can you work towards a more critical understanding of SD and ESD in your context? It is by reading intensively modules and other sources provided by UNESCO and identifying what is not working (gaps) so as to contextualize SD and ESD in my institution.
      * What still needs to be discussed and taken forward? The issue of monitoring at the institution level as well as its assessment.
      *Can you prepare some suggestions for colleagues / your department / your TE/TVET institution? What would you emphasise? Integration of SD and ESD in the teaching and learning process in TEI should be a first priority.

• Busisiwe
      Participant

1. The Learning Action has been greatly informative and has brought awareness on the responsibility of a teacher in developing a sustainable generation. I am now looking at our programme from a sustainable development perspective; thus realized how far do our vision and mission talk to SD and ESD.

2. An in-depth analysis and review of our programme with regards to SD and ESD will be made, a community of practice be formed to ascertain existing gaps and to sensitize more people; then SD will be integrated into the curriculum and teaching approaches be transformative.

3. A discussion and planning on agreed Change Project followed by its implementation. The way it would be evaluated should also be discussed.

4. A collective responsibility is needed for a scene assessment to identify gaps. The establishment of CoP in developing an ESD Change Project and its implementation. Modules should have topics on sustainable development so to cater for SDG 4:4.7 and they should include the 21st Century competencies.

• Henry
      Participant

TEVET collges should include ESD policies in curriculum so that renewable afforestation,eneryy and recycling be part of the curriculum

• David Maguza
      Participant

.How this Learning Action has helped you to re-view your TE/TVET programmes?
      It has helped me to see and observe what we are missing in this TE/TEVET programes because in this system we’re focusing on what people can sustain to development but on the other side they need to think the areas where we’re failing. Likely on environment, in this program of TEVET we’re having a problem on how we can educate some on climate change hence some programs are threats to climate change.
      SD are there because is about how a people can develop their country or community and their earn of living. ESD it’s about teaching people on how we can maintain the same climate or environment so that we can’t actually change in future. We to educate people about working but while thinking about the future generations. This requires the children to be taught so that they can be thinking on how they can take care about the environment and also on some areas we can talk about gender based violence that it must stop so that we can not have a problem on the gbv in future so education is important
      Implementation is very important and I think as a country we need to be serious on the issue ESD so that we can be able to overcome some challenges that we’re facing today eg climate change, early marriages etc due to lack of Civic education and also negligence. Government should assist on the ESD and SDGs to be achieved.
      Here in Africa we think about money first forgetting the most important things of climate.
      If all policies or programs are reviewed I hope and believe that we can achieve all the SDGs and go beyond so that the living standard can be okay but all these needs people to be trained by we qualified and dedicated people. And lastly we need to work together as a team because in unity there is power.

• kmwalweni
      Participant

Learning action one has been very informative to me that I am now able to check if our Teacher Education program is responding to SD and ESD. It has been observed that our primary teacher education in Malawi is being reviewed so that it gets aligned to the requirements of SD and ESD which also respond to SDG number 4.7. A great deal of learning content and pedagogy have so far been reviewed and they’re in with SDG goal number 4.
      Working towards a better understanding of SD and ESD in our context is by having a deeper insight on UNESCO documents including it’s learning objectives. There is also need to consider our national Education Development Policies, our curriculum so that they positively talk to each other.
      What still needs to be discussed and taken forward is stake holders conviction. All stake holders should be engaged to make sure that they work on the same wavelength on the importance adopting transformative education which enable us build just society for all where developments become the benefit of all. Stake holders should also agree that education is a powerful engine for driving the required change.
      The advice to go to my colleagues is that time for transformation is now, but it requires collaboration. Together we can bring the change we need today and for the future generations.

• Sibusiso
      Participant

I have since gained some insight in examining linkages between my institution’s policies and what the sustainable development goals seek to achieve, especially goal 4 which all TEI should strive to align with, which focuses on ensuring inclusive and equitable quality education and promotion of lifelong learning. Goal 4 is also very much linked with the rest of the SDGs, which altogether are the path towards the achievement of sustainable development.

As a student of SD and ESD, I think I can improve my understanding through following the UNESCO Roadmap for Implementing the Global Action Programme on Education for Sustainable Development. Also, it is very important for me to understand that sustainable development is a learning process, one that is transformative as we get to be inquisitive enough to question and action on issues that affect us in our societies. For instance, as an educator in a developing country, I should strive to produce students that will understand how to strike a balance in ensuring that all actions undertaken now do not compromise the needs of future generations.

Based on the foregoing sentiments, I am eagerly expecting to gain further insight into aspects such as teaching approaches to discourage extravagant undertakings in the name of “economic development” as we strive to preserve resources.

With what I have gained so far, I would emphasise the need to revisit the vision and mission statements, and policies of my institution to align with the sustainable development and education for sustainable development definitions.

• Henry
        Participant

learning action 1 has helped me to begin thinking of including content that which is ESD friendly such as renewable energy and the protection of forest resources which are continuously used as part of the curriculum.in addition am rethinking of recycling of metal and wooden and paper resources because these are sourced from the environment and such a practice can help save the ecosystem. curriculum should also be adapted to climate change prevention and water pollution. the issues mentioned here can work effectively if all technical colleges work together to implement the measures through curriculum implementation to include esd training content. i wish to emphasis that sustainable Education be one of the key areas to be reinforced by all societies , government and teachers as well as the learning students at different levels so that they grow with a culture of SD throughout their lifetime
        Another important area that needs to be considered is teacher training that should includes ESd pedagogy training methodology as well as content of environment Economy and society sustainability.

• Azaria Simelane
      Participant

How this Learning Action has helped you to review your TE/TVET programmes?
      It has helped us realise that as much as we practice ESD we have to reinforce our present activities.
      We need to revive our extracurricula club activies which were stalled due to covid 19 regulations.
      Allocation of time to do the ESD activities and practicals.
      The approach of the activities should be student centred accompanied by some form of assessment.

• Veronica
      Participant

Learning action 1 was profound to me because it has helped me to deepen my understanding of SD in my context. Also it has helped me to view my work using lens of SD. I appreciate so much because I didn’t have such knowledge.

From now on wards, I will make sure that all my work plans are inline with SD and I will also orient my students on the same.
      Of course as a country we have a work to do especially on our curriculum to make it more inclined to ESD. More on this will be shared in the assignment presentation.
      To my colleagues, I would emphasize that they too must integrate issues of ESD in the work.

• Washington Mbhamali
      Participant

1. This learning action has helped me review our TVET programmes by enlightening me on the importance of designing inclusive, self-directed, more student-centred, more flexible, and online programmes that will promote life-long and self-sustainable learning.
      2. Working with colleagues, course specialists, employers as well as trainees in designing, developing, implementing and evaluating TVET programmes will help me work towards a more critical understanding of sustainable development and education for sustainable development within the context of TVET.
      3. What needs to be discussed and taken forward still includes: designing TVET policy suitable for Eswatini context, designing and implementing National Qualifications Framework (NQF) at international standard, and recruitment policy for TVET providers to be relevant to industry requirements.
      4. I would emphasize the adoption of online learning that will encompass elements that promote education for sustainable development through self-directed learning, self-sustainable employment.

• Lungsta
      Participant

Learning Action 1 has helped me to re-view my TE/TVET programmes as follows:
      -It has provided a number of insights regarding SD and ESD that need to be incorporated in teacher education since teachers play a fundamental role in initiating change as well as transforming society.
      -It has also encouraged me as a teacher educator to see myself as a key player in bringing about positive change in my institution in terms of SD and ESD.Hence getting the motivation to aim at initiating change accordingly

I can work towards a more critical understanding of SD and ESD in my context by:
      – Reflecting on the core business of teacher education and evaluating the extent to which my institution embraces principles of SD and ESD for example in terms of content or methodology.

What still needs to be discussed and taken forward is:
      -Wholesome responsibility on the need for achieving SD and ESD at teacher training level.
      -Preparation of teaching and learning material for achieving SD and ESD.
      -Routine reviews on how SD and ESD can be achieved at teacher education level
      -Creation of a policy statement on SD and ESD at institutional level.
      -Capacity building on SD and ESD at institutional level.

Some suggestions for colleagues / my department / my TE/TVET institution- What I would emphasise:
      -SD and ESD are fundamental to creating a more meaningful package for teacher education trainees,thus they must be given the attention they deserve.
      -My colleagues should see themselves as major agents of achieving SD and ESD because they understand better what they are and are better placed to taking them forward.
      -My institution should be seen to appreciate the importance of SD and ESD and it should create opportunities that allow achieving SD and ESD.
      -SD and ESD require everyone’s involvement and as such every effort must be made to incorporate everyone.

• Newton Isaac Nyondo
      Participant

Look back at what has been discussed in this Learning Action 1. In the forum, reflect on:
      This learning action 1 has helped me to review my TE programme for I have come to understand how the learning content, pedagogy, and learning environment should be in order to bring about learning outcomes responsible for present and future societal transformation.

– By continuing reading the materials suggested and provided by UNESCO.
      – By Reviewing the Vision and Mission statements of my institution to see how they reflect the ESD
      – By reviewing to what extent the Learning content Integrates critical issues such as
      climate change, biodiversity, disaster risk reduction, and sustainable consumption and production into the syllabus

The issue that needs to be discussed and taken forward is how should we integrate ESD in teaching and learning in practical terms?

Can you prepare some suggestions for colleagues / your department / your TE/TVET institution? What would you emphasize?
      My suggestion for my TE institution is that:
      – Staff, student-teachers, and other stakeholders should work collaboratively to make sure that ESD is practically integrated into teaching and learning. this can be done by designing teaching and learning in an interactive, learner-centered way that enables exploratory, action-oriented, and transformative learning.

• Mercy Chiwenga
      Participant

Learning action 1 has helped me to understand more deeply about SD. This further has helped me to reflect on my teaching in the classroom. Understanding of the SD jas helped me to analyze our vision and mission statement to see if it incorporates principles of SD and ESD
      There was a further analysis of the learning content to see how critical issues such as disaster risk reduction, sustainable life styles are integrated into the curriculum
      How can you work towards a more understanding of SD and ESD in your context?
      Further reading of materials provided by UNESCO on SD and ESD
      Further reading of other relevant materials on SD and ESD
      Reviewing of vision and mission statement to see how it reflects principles of SD and ESD
      Establishment of CoP to further discuss issues of SD and ESD,share ideas
      Reviewing our curriculum to see if critical issues have been integrated
      What still needs to be discussed and taken forward
      We have to look into how the integration of the SD be done at all levels
      What suggestion can you have for your TEI
      Staff members, students and the other stakeholders
      to work collaboratively to make sure that ESD is incorporated in the process of teaching and learning.

• THEODOZIA BANDIYA
      Participant

How this Learning Action 1has helped you to re-view your TE/TVET programmes?
      It has helped me much to know and understand whether our TE programmes are aligned to SDG’s specifically with SDG 4. by reviewing our programmes using the action learning framework number one it will help me identify and analyze gaps and thus we are going to use different strategies to make our programmes work in a way that it will bring and place our education system in successful and meet the 21st century goals.
      2.How can you work towards a more critical understanding of SD and ESD in your context?
      By reviewing our programs i.e. whom we teach, what we teach, how we teach, how we conduct assessment and the assessment tools we use and the quality of teacher we produce at the end of programme in connection to SD and ESD.
      3.What still needs to be discussed and taken forward?
      We have to discuss how the change project will be carried out after the end of the programme.
      4. Can you prepare some suggestions for colleagues / your department / your TE/TVET institution? What would you emphasize?
      Suggestion: Identify the gaps and establish CoP in different departments.
      My emphasis should be on SDG 4 especially on developing teachers for ESD which should be aliened with 21st century competencies.

• Innocent John
      Participant

The learning action 1
      Has helped me to understand that our programs or courses respond to SD and ESD. The learning outcome focuses on skills such as learning transformation, critical thinking which requires working together as institutions as well as with the government to integrate SD and ESD programs.
      As institution we need to take it to next level so that it should be practical thing other than theory because it has notes that most students after finishing school they do nothing may be due to lack of start up capital as well as lack of job opportunities.
      There is need for training for teachers as well as for students but also students need to be given soft loans so the skills and knowledge which they acquired should not be Idle but should be put into action
      As an institution we should emphasize transformation learning which require students to be innovative thinking

• Henry
      Participant

I have gained information on sustainability project and education that leads to sustainable development. i have further learned how to came up with a change project that is relevant to curriculum and brings change of mindset on issues of economy , society and management of natural resources so that they are made savable to all generations. emphasis has been made that SD depends on good approach of ESD.

This can be done through discussion with COP on SD and ESD and later source documents that have guide lines on ESD. in addition, reading samples of other ESD projects help shaping my understanding of ESD.

Global or environmental crises like climate change and environment, economic issues such as industrialization and employment and waste management, education should also be customised to solving global problems like poverty economy and environment

review curriculum to include issues of SD and global challenges as well as review curriculum so that knowledge of ESD be known by scholars at all levels

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Henry.
    • Lungsta
      Participant

• How this learning action has helped you to review your TE/TVET programs?
      The learning action has help us to critically look at the goals and objectives of our school as whole and how our goals relate with the ESD and SD. We revisited the vision and the mission statement of the school and made it relate and encompass goal 4 of SDs so that we produce learners that are relevant to the 21st century.

All the teaching needs to be educated about the SDGs and its importance. This will help them to go an extra mile from teaching lessons that address SDs theoretical into practice. The mission statement of the school also needs to be revised to totally address the SDs of the learners to be able to appreciate their environment while at the same time effectively learning.

Engage in more projects that addresses the ESDs. Encourage all the teachers to participate in the change projects. Task and supervise learners when they are doing the projects. Asses and grade the learner projects.

• Can you prepare some suggestion for colleagues / your department / your TE/TVET institution? What would you emphasize?
      I would emphasize on the integration of the ESD on a lesson plan of the educators. I would also emphasize that teachers must adopt mostly the learner centered approach. This will help to engage the learners mostly in their understanding of the ESDs so that learners at the end of the day can be part and parcel of the ESD which is now a necessity for us to have a better world in life.

• Lydia Jolofani Tembenu
      Participant

Learning action 1 has helped to me to deepen my understanding of SD and ESD in TE. It has also helped me to view my work as a teacher educator from the perspective of achieving SD4, 4.7 which i wasn’t aware of. I never had a chance to go through this document. I never realized that SD goals had a direct link to TE till now

Henceforth, I will make sure that my teaching is reflecting SD and ESD principles. I will also orient my students on the same.
      As a country we have much work to do especially on making our curriculum to make it more responsive to SD and ESD.
      I would advise my workmates to integrate issues SD and ESD in the work so that we can achieve what is stipulated in our institution’s vision and mission statements.

• W Gunde
      Participant

Learning action 1 has assisted me to have a better understanding of SD and ESD. It has also assisted me to critically review our Teacher Education Curriculum and discover that although it was revised, there are still some gaps that need to be filled in order to make it fully aligned to SD goal number 4.7 which talks about inclusiveness and quality education for all. It has assisted me to learn about the 21st century competencies that teacher educators need to have in order to fully address issues of SD and ESD in our dynamic world. It has also inspired me to take a deliberate effort to incorporate issues of SD and ESD in my lessons. I would also encourage my colleagues to do likewise through sharing knowledge and skills gained from learning action 1.

• climacy1982@gmail.com
      Participant

I have been enlightened on the need to consider SDG4 in all our planning and practices as TE institution. We really forget the SDG goals in many levels of education planning and implementation. The unit is a workup call of our commitment that we should use education as a tool for making the world better for everyone today and tomorrow.

As an institution for training teachers, there is need to ensure that each and every staff at the institution is aware of the target for SDG4 and concentrate all the effort and resources toward achieving that goal. This can be done by deliberately integrating ESD in all the current institution activities.

To my colleagues, I would encourage them to read and understand SDG4 and to commit ourselves towards achieving this goal.

• Martin Elifala
      Participant

HOW IT HELPED?
      It has equipped me with an understanding with strategies for effective planning for a change project, how it can be implemented and managed for sustainable development. More importantly, aligning it with the SDGs and policies already in place.
      HOW CAN IT BE DONE?
      Analyzing change projects being implemented by others in other countries so that we learn from them and identify the gaps. Thereafter, incorporating those that are applicable to our setting.
      WHAT NEEDS TO BE DISCUSSED AND TAKEN FORWARD?
      How the projects will be implemented in institutions. Is it as clubs or incorporation into the curriculum?

• sphelelelukhele@gmail.com
      Participant

It has helped me by thinking deeply of about sustainable development and putting into practice what we teach and learn. It has enlightened me about environmental challenges we have in our institution which needs to be addressed. In fact this is a wake up call for me. Let me take the environment seriously. Also implement the Sustainable development goals.

There is a great need to involve a majority if not everyone in the institution in the projects, it should not be a thing of few individuals
      Therefore all departments have to be sensitised about sustainable development goals and try by all means to meet.
      Even our learners must be involved by explaining what sustainable development is all aboutand get them involved in the projects.

I would encourage my colleagues to familiarize themselves about the Sustainable development goals and make it a point that they are included in their syllabus.

Viewing and analysing some prpjects carried out in other countries will help us a lot.

How the projects are implemented is what needs to be done as some of us are new in the programme.

• Sandra@94
      Participant

The chief goal of sustainable education is to empower citizens so they can bring about change within their societies. With the help of creativity and co-operation, learning can be more effective towards ensuring that all species are in equilibrium with their environment.

• Fanny Njaidi
      Participant

How this learning action has helped you to re-view your Teacher Education programmes?
      Learning Action 1 has helped me understand differences SD and ESD as well as their similarities then relate with what I teach. It has further helped me to relate the my institution’s mission and vision statement with SDGs and ESD.
      – How can you work towards a more critical understanding of SD and ESD in your context?
      The first thing is to identify the gaps which are there.
      When teaching students make sure there is integration the content with SD

– Can you prepare some suggestions for colleagues/your department/your TE institution? What would you emphasize?
      There must be emphasis on how Teacher Educators integrate or incorporate ESD in their daily planning and teaching against the allocated time in the curriculum.
      How this learning action has helped you to re-view your Teacher Education programmes?
      Learning Action 1 has helped me understand differences between SD and ESD as well as similarities and relate with my daily teaching/content.
      There is need to identify the existing gaps in the TE curriculum so that it is in line with the SDG 4, Target 7 and ensure that the ESD is the focus of the learning that goes on everyday.
      Assessment part has been missing in line with ESD. So, there is need to work more towards assessment of student participation in the projects under ESD so that this can also be part of the final score in all subjects assessed. Furthermore, find out the extent the SDGs and ESD have been implemented in the curriculum at TE level.

It should be a must for every teacher trainer to
      incorporate ESD in their daily planning and teaching against the allocated time in the curriculum. Another thing is students should be involved more in all Change Projects hence acquiring sustainable skills

• Sindisiwe
      Participant

This Learning area has helped me understand the importance of linking my course content to the everyday life of the students. For example, having discussions of Skinner’s theory and the application of the principles in explaining general human behaviour, can create more interest in the course than emphasizing its use when they are now practising teachers.

• Busi Shongwe
      Participant

Learning Action 1 has helped me to reflect and understand how ESD can be integrated in the curriculum to come up with change projects that will empower learners to be self sustained and how it can be done aligned with the SDG’s goals and policies, and vision of the institution.
      How to work towards critical understanding of ESD.
      Firstly:
      Its by analyzing the current course content and see what is they and identify the gaps that exist and make sure there is an integration of the ESD in the course modules.
      How to prepare:
      -encourage all lecturers to intergrade ESD issues in their course modules, create an awareness that will help them identify the ESD in their course content

• Ntombifuthi.mndzebeleswz
      Participant

This learning action has helped to understand ESD better and identify in both institutional policies and curriculum

The first thing is to create awareness and educate the community with the participants of the programme taking the lead.

there is the need to look into assessment issues and ensuring sustainability of the change project initiatives.

it is possible to incorporate and mainstream SD in all content areas of TE. I would place more emphasis on involvement of the whole community, especially in the change projects.

• Tony
      Participant

Q1. How this Learning Action has helped you to re-view your TE/TVET programmes?

This learning action has not only enhanced my understanding of Education for Sustainable Development, but it has also provided an opportunity for the college to reflect on its practise, vision and mission statement. Besides, learning action 1 has provided a strong base for effective implementation of the College Project which is being developed.

Q2. How can you work towards a more critical understanding of SD and ESD in your context?

To ensure a more critical understanding of SD and ESD, there is need for continued engagement with community of practice because the issue of sustainable development can be understood differently by different individuals.

Q3. What still needs to be discussed and taken forward?

The issue of ensuring continued motivation by students still needs to be discussed.

It can be suggested that an assement grade be attached to change project to ensure that all students participate

Viewing 56 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.